In 2007 Rene Agredano embarked on full-time RVing with her husband and three-legged dog, and never looked back. Through her work as a small business owner, writer, metalsmith, and animal advocate, she loves sharing RV knowledge with other nomads here at Let’s RV, and on her website at LiveWorkDream.
This year I decided that life is too short to drink tepid beverages on blazing hot days. I turned to the highest rated Amazon portable RV ice maker reviews to pinpoint the best one for my needs. These buyers helped me learn so much about these cool machines.
Fifteen years of full-time RVing and I think we’ve gone long enough without this essential summer RV appliance. These days, keeping cool at the campsite is a must. The best place to start is with cold beverages.
First, Know What to Look for in a Countertop RV Ice Maker
I have a love/hate relationship with summer RV camping. Or rather, my current version of a “portable” RV ice maker does. On the season’s hottest days, those tiny plastic ice trays can’t freeze enough cubes to quench our thirst. Summer is a constant battle of keeping up with the ice trays.
I read dozens of portable RV ice maker reviews to help me understand essential features of a countertop model. From what the machine weighs to how fast it makes ice, there are so many things to consider. The top considerations of an ice making appliance include:
- How long does the ice maker take to freeze water into ice cubes?
- Is there a removable basket to transfer ice into your cooler?
- How much water can your portable RV ice maker hold?
- Will this appliance push your over it’s GVWR?
- Where will you store the ice maker when you’re not using it?
- And what do buyers rate the portable ice maker you’re considering?
What’s Your Most Important RV Ice Machine Feature?
I have a smaller RV without much storage space. This makes it easy to narrow down my portable RV ice maker wants and needs. For example, smaller and lighter is more important than ice cube making speeds. When your rig is small, features like a larger removable ice basket are nice to have, but not essential. What is a must is the ability to make more ice in a shorter amount of time than the analog method of using plastic ice trays.
My RV ice maker machine will be smaller and lighter. With the important buyer feedback I learned on Amazon, it will also be long-lasting and worth the money. If you’re ready to start investigating one too, these portable RV ice maker reviews of different models are a great place to get started.
Best Budget Ice Maker Under $100
Looking for a lightweight, dependable RV ice maker at a good price? The hOmeLabs Portable Ice Maker Machine is an affordable, smart choice for RVers with limited storage and small budgets.
The hOmeLabs portable ice machine is the unicorn of affordable RV appliances. Here’s why I love it, and think you will too:
- Make 35 pounds of ice each day or 8 cubes every 10 minutes
- Measures only 9.5 x 12.9 x 14 inches
- Weighs just 18.57 pounds
- Features an auto shut-off, and a reservoir that reuses water from melted ice to make even more ice!
Most online reviews give the hOmeLabs budget RV ice maker an almost perfect five star rating. About the only complaint is that you might annoy campground neighbors. Some people complain that it’s too noisy. But you can always make up for it by walking over to your campsite neighbor and handing them a nice, cold drink!
Best for: anyone who wants cold drinks but has minimal RV storage capacity.
Best Budget Ice Maker Under $100 (Runner Up)
A budget RV ice maker under $100 that’s durable and worth the money is hard to find. But there’s one runner up in this category that outdoes the rest: the ZAFRO Ice Maker.
- Takes just 8 mins to produce 9 ice bullet-shaped cubes
- Produces 26lbs fresh ice in 24hrs,
- High-efficiency compressor cooling system with minimal noise
- Measures just 12.6″ x 8.9″ x 11.8″(H) inch”
No other countertop ice maker we found makes this much ice at once, for under $100. And the Rovsun does it in the same amount of time as similarly priced competitors.
Like many great kitchen gadgets for RV camping, there’s a trade-off. At 26 pounds, this countertop RV ice maker weighs a bit more than competing budget RV ice makers. For example, the KUPPET Portable Ice Maker weights just 17.6 pounds. And the Zlinke Portable Ice Maker Machine weighs 17.35 pounds.
Best for: Large RV families, and campers who love throwing big outdoor parties
Best Mid-Priced Portable RV Ice Maker ($140)
When it comes to keeping drinks cold in the outdoors, Igloo always does it right. And now their Igloo Premium Self-Cleaning Countertop Ice Maker leads the way in portable ice makers for RVs, tent campers, and patio party throwers.
Here’s what we think you’ll love about this countertop ice maker:
- Nearly 3,000 Amazon ice maker reviews give it an almost perfect five-star rating
- Make 26 pounds of ice cubes in a 24-hour period, or 9 chilly cubes in about 7 minutes
- Illuminated led lights tell you to add water, and when the ice basket is full
- Self-cleaning feature makes RV ice maker maintenance a breeze
Like the Rovsun ice machine shown above, this Igloo ice maker weighs more than others at a whopping 26 pounds. But for just $40 more, Igloo’s mid-priced ice maker is a great gear choice for any motorhome, trailer, van, or truck camper.
Best for: Any camper who can spare a little extra cargo weight in their RV.
The Ultimate Luxury RV Ice Maker Appliance (Over $150)
If you want the feel of owning a luxury RV without the price tag, the Euhomy Ice Maker Machine is a great place to get started.
The almost-perfect 5 star rating shared in over 4,000 RV ice maker reviews of this product rave about high end features for the cold beverage connoisseur, such as:
- Makes 40 pounds of ice per day, or 24 cubes every 12-18 minutes
- Holds up to 2.2 liters of water (more than competitors). Spend your time drinking, not refilling
- Efficient, quiet compressor
- Self-cleaning feature
- Removable ice basket stores up to 2.2 lbs. of ice
- Excellent, responsive customer service for any issues that might crop up
Portable RV ice machines aren’t just a luxury
Summer seasons are hotter than ever. There’s no better time to check out portable RV ice maker reviews for cooler hot days. You’ll keep drinks chilled, your dog’s water dish cold, and quickly freeze so much ice that you’ll want to pour it all down your shirt on the hottest days of summer.