Need a bigger RV refrigerator but don’t want to pay for an upgrade? Consider investing in a portable outdoor cooler for extra food and drinks. But do your research before you spend a ton of cash on the top portable camping coolers. Not all coolers are alike. Some have better materials than others.
What to Look for in an Outdoor Camping Cooler
Does your refrigerator look as crowded as ours? We are full-time RVers. As a result, some weeks our RV refrigerator is stuffed to the max. This isn’t a smart way to keep our RV refrigerator running smoothly. And we can’t keep our RV cupboards cool enough to store extra refrigerated food.
These are many times when I wish we had one of the best coolers for camping and RVing. It could stay outside, and serve as an alternative RV refrigerator when return from the store with too many items. My birthday is coming up. So in my search to find a cooler for camping and RVing as a present to myself, here’s what I discovered.
Look for Strong Camping Cooler Materials, like Stainless Steel and Rotomodeled Plastic
Stainless steel coolers and rotomodeled plastic ones are the basic material in the best coolers for camping and RVing. If things get beat up, you want them made with this production process. It creates stronger corners and consistent wall thickness. This means that bears have a harder time destroying rotomodeled plastic items.
Are You Buying a Bear Resistant IGBC Certified Camping Cooler?
Does the camping cooler you want have a seal of approval from the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC)? This is an important seal for many reasons, such as:
- The cooler makes it harder for grizzly bears to access the food inside
- And the manufacturer went the extra mile and expense to save the life of a grizzly bear. This optional certification process is something we outdoor lovers need to support if we care about wildlife!
Now that you have the basic knowledge to choose the best cooler for camping and RVing, here are some bear resistant coolers to check out on Amazon.
Ozarktrail Heavy Duty 45 Quart Cooler
- Material Stainless Steel
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 19.45 x 26.6 x 18.5 inches
- Premium insulation keeps ice for days
- Indoor or outdoor cooler with roto-molded, seamless, one-piece construction and UV-resistant exterior
- With heavy-duty, flat-proof, all-terrain wheels
- Ice chest with wheels and durable, secure t-handle latches
- Heavy duty handles with comfort grip
- Industrial strength stainless steel locking plate with built in bottle opener
- Ice cooler includes wire basket for storage and organization
- Certified bear-resistant by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee
- Fish ruler and 4 Drink holders on the lid
Canyon Coolers Outfitter 125
Features and specs
- 125 Quarts/ 119 Liters
- 40.5 lbs empty
- Rotomolded Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) Construction Pressure-injected HUNTX foam insulation (made in Alabama)
- Molded-in hinge with stainless steel pin
- EZ-Cam UV Resistant Latch 2” Tiedown slots
- IGBC Certification Number 3769
- Exterior: 35X20.25X20.25
- Interior: 28X16X16
- Big game hunting, multi-day camping, river rafting, off-shore fishing, boating
Cold Bastard Rugged Coolers
- Holds up to 104 cans or 80 water bottles (16.9oz or 500ml) or 72lbs of ice or 66.3 liters, 70 quartz of water or 17.5 Gallons of Water
- Empty Weight: 42.4lbs
- Outer Dimensions: 34.25 (L) x 18.75 (D) x 18.25 (H) inches
- Interconnected Dual System Stainless Steel Hinges Pins, to avoid it from ever breaking
- Air Releasing Button-Open the cooler box easily when the air pressure is different
- Stainless Steel Bottle Opener and Lock Pad Capability
- Non-Slip Non-Marking Bottoms on all 4 corners to keep your cooler in place
- Embossed 28″ Ruler on Lid
- Commercial Grade Door Lid Seal Gasket, to keep the cold inside, and the heat out.
- 4 Tie-Down Slots to keep the cooler secured
- Leak-Free Rugged Full Length Drain System, drains your cooler fast and easy
- Ultra-Strength Polyester Rope
- Removable Smart Carrying Handles
- Solid Flatless Large Wheels with Dual Ball Bearings for a lifetime hauling
- Lifetime Limited Manufacturer’s Warranty on the Shell Body and Lid
- 1 Year Warranty on Latches, Handles, Bottom Pads, Drain Plug, Gaskets.
Kong Coolers 70 qt Rotomolded
- Holds up to 45 12-oz cans along with 33 pounds of ice.
- Designed to outlast your adventure and our competition with 5+ day ice retention!
- Opens to a 45-degree angle while backed up against a wall or other object.
- Used included dividers as a shelf, cutting board, side table while keeping food dry and drinks wet.
- You can use another divider for in-cooler storage or a shelf.
- Additional accessories available.
- Latches made from 3/16-inch-thick, rigid nylon with stainless steel hardware
- Made in the USA
YETI Tundra 45 Cooler
- The YETI Tundra 45 combines versatility with durability with a capacity of up to 26 cans with a recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio
- Ice stays ice thanks to up to 3 inches of PermaFrost Insulation and an extra thick FatWall design is certified Bear-Resistant
- The Rotomolded Construction makes the Tundra armored to the core and virtually indestructible so wherever you decide to take it, this portable cooler’s sturdy construction will stand up to the rigors of the journey
- All Tundra coolers feature T-Rex Lid Latches constructed of heavy-duty rubber so you’ll never see another busted latch and has patented keeper technology
- Comes standard with one dry goods basket.
- Dimensions: 25 3/4 in long x 16 1/8 in wide x 15 3/8 in high
- Empty weight of 23 lbs