Are high gas prices nudging you over to smaller Class C motorhomes? You’re not alone. Many RVers are also debating about the benefits of smaller RVs.
“How Many on Here Downsized from a Large Class A to a Small Class C?”
We all want better RV fuel economy for our RVs. High gas and diesel costs in 2022 are stirring a big debate about RV downsizing for better fuel economy. Many long-time RVers are considering moving away from larger Class A diesel pushers to smaller Class C motorhomes. Many RV owners are not.
According to this hot 2022 iRV2 Discussion Forum topic, RVers who went from a Class A to a small Class C motorhome report that overall, they are happy they switched.
I sold my 33 foot 6-7 mpg class A and bought a new 2021 small class C/B+ with a 7.3 V-8 that has a average mpg at 11.5 and no need for a toad.
Everyday I am glad I made the change before prices went thru the roof on small class C’s
I paid $75,000 in 02-2021 and today that same RV sells for $95,000@jackreno, iRV2 Forums Member
Will Smaller Class C Motorhomes Save You Money?
RVers report the difference in gas mileage between Class A and Class C motorhomes is negligible. Some also report minimal maintenance costs between Class A and Class C RVs. But those RVers who made the move simply love how easy it is to drive smaller RVs.
While I enjoyed driving all the RV’s we owned, the larger ones were more white nuckle for me, especially when dragging a toad. By itself, my PC (Phoenix Cruiser) is only a foot longer than the crew cab, full-size truck we used to have & I loved driving that thing. I can feel the “push” when certain designed semi’s pass me but I’m not gripping the steering wheel with a death grip with the PC.@NLOVNIT, iRV2 Forums Admin
The reasons for RV downsizing are different for everyone. Still not sure about downsizing to a Class C RV? These new 2022 Class C motorhome examples might push you over the fence and right into a dealer.
Top Rated 2022 Class C Motorhomes for Downsizing
The all-new Winnebago® EKKO™ combines the efficiency of a camper van, the added capacity of a Class C coach, and the enhanced capability of AWD to create not just a new model, but an entirely new type of RV. It comfortably sleeps up to four people for rugged outdoor boondocking and off-road RV camping. Winnebago’s Ekko is a revolutionary small Class C RV with rugged features:
- AWD Ford® Transit Chassis with 3.5L ECOBOOST® V6 10-speed automatic transmission, 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, tow hitch and more
- Comes standard with 455 watts of solar panels and lithium ion batteries
- All-season ready with extensive insulation, dual pane windows and heated exterior compartments.
- 50-gallon freshwater tank with proportionate waste tanks
- Microwave, 2-burner LP cooktop with cover, 5.3 cu. ft. compressor-driven refrigerator/freezer, stainless-steel sink with cover, and a pantry
- Adjustable/removable galley extension also serves as a table or workstation for the swivel passenger seat
Built on the Chevrolet 4500 chassis, the 2022 Redhawk sleeps up to five people, making it ideal for RV newbies, or those who want to downsize to smaller Class C motorhome. Buyers can choose one of three different Redhawk SE floorplans. It also comes in two different lengths: 25′ 2″ and 30′ 3″. The best part? The 2022 Jayco Redhawk starts at $110,768.
- 7.3L V-8 350 HP engine with 468 ft.-lb. torque
- 6-speed TorqShift® series transmission with overdrive
- 210-amp alternator
- 55 gal. fuel tank
- Onan® 4,000-watt MicroQuiet™ gas generator
- 15,000 BTU ducted A/C
- 31,000 BTU auto-ignition furnace
- 6 gal. gas/electric DSI auto-ignition water heater
The Forester 2022 MBS is ideal for anyone who wants to downsize to a smaller Class C RV without giving up comfort or better Class C fuel economy. Designed with 3 different chassis platforms and 14 comfortable floorplans for spacious interior living, buyers have several slide-out floorplan configurations to choose from. All Foresters are “Certified Green” by TRA Certification.
- Fuel Capacity: 26 gal.
- Fresh Water: 35.00 gal. / Gray Water: 32.00 gal. / Black Water: 32.00 gal.
- 3.6 KW LP generator
- Water filtration system
- Arctic Package (12V tank heaters)
- Winegard Air 360+ digital antenna
- Firefly multiplex monitoring system with smart phone remote
- TruTank tank level monitoring system
- Optional 190 Watt roof-mounted solar powered 12V charging system
- Starts at around $147,000
With a starting price of $112,350, the Thor Chateau is a perfect starter motorhome for RV newbies. It’s also one of our favorite 2022 Class C motorhomes for anyone because of the array of choices available to buyers. This one comes standard with a Ford® E-Series chassis, or an optional Chevrolet® chassis for select floor plans. Choose one as small as 22-feet long to 31-feet, with awesome features that include:
- Ford® E-Series Chassis – 7.3L V8, 350HP 468 lb-ft Torque with TPMs
- 8,000-lb. Trailer Hitch
- Onan® RV QG 4000 Gas Generator
- Automatic Shoreline-to-Generator Transfer Switch
- Solar Prep (includes Solar Controller)
- Bedroom 12V Outlet for CPAP Machine
- Double Door Refrigerator
A Chateau Owner Review
We did! Went from a 40 ft diesel class C to a 23u class C! Love it. We are riders. Wife stopped riding a rzr, arthritis setting in. With the large rig find We couldn’t get into small places I really love. For a while was running a van like rv and the 49 ft funmover . Van for short trips or me riding dirt with buddies. Too much hassle. Small C tows a jeep, can hang a motorcycle off the jeep if wanted or if a short trip, just buddies, put bike on back hitch rack . Well within weight limits. So much handier, cheaper, easier to maintain.
We put 92k on the funmover, am up to 43k on the 23u, bought Dec ’17. It fits in tight campgrounds such as Veterans Park Monterey or Wheeler Peak, Great Basin. Size isnt an issue. Enjoy it so much. Don’t carry as much, gas easier to find and get access to at stations. An unexpected positive- people who approach talk are generally nicer, less pretentious than the 40 ft. large diesel owners used to come talk to me about their new dirt bike, how much their motorhome cost, how they made money, etc. Now, they ask where are we going what (ride) have I seen? More do’ers than show ‘ers and I enjoy that.@cbigham, iRV2 Forums Member
Consider 2022 Class C Motorhomes with Diesel Engines
The great debate over gas or diesel RVs never ends. If you are thinking about investing in a Class C motorhome for downsizing, a small Class C diesel RV could be a good investment if you plan on keeping it over the long term. Diesel engine RVs have higher engine torque, tend to hold their value longer, and give better fuel economy (a bonus with today’s high gas and diesel prices!). If that sounds good to you, consider these two unique small Class C motorhomes with diesel engines.
The Tiffin Wayfarer Class C turbo diesel engine motorhome is built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. This chassis helps keep drivers safe with attention assist, lane keeping assist, collision prevention assist, and load adaptive electronic stability. Features of this 2022 Class C motorhome include:
- 3.0 6-cylinder Turbo Diesel Engine
- 7-speed Automatic Tip Shift Speed Transmission 188 HP/325 lb Torque
- BigFoot Hydraulic Leveling System
- 24.5 Gallon Fuel Tank / 4.8 Gallon DEF Tank
- Active Brake Assist (Collision Mitigation)
- Fresh Water: 25 gallons / Black Water: 28 gallons / Gray Water: 36 gallons
- 3.2 kw Diesel Generator
- 2000 Watt Inverter Pure Sine
- Heated Holding Tanks
- Starts at $191,537
The Winnebago Navion is also built on the diesel-powered Mercedes-Benz® Sprinter chassis. Features that set it apart from the rest of 2022 small Class C RVs include:
- Standard 3.2 kw Diesel Generator
- Standard Hydraulic Leveling System
- 2000 Watt Inverter Pure Sine
- Two 100-watt Solar Panels with a solar charge controller
- Fresh Water: 30 gallons
- Truma AquaGo® Comfort Plus Tankless water heater
- TrueLevel™ holding tank monitoring system
- Double-door 12V compressor refrigerator/freezer
- Cold water filtration system
- Starts at $190,775
Compare the Winnebago Navion and Tiffin Wayfarer
There’s no doubt that the Winnebago Navion and Tiffin Wayfarer are similar small 2022 Class C motorhomes. But as this review video shows, both have subtle differences that make them stand apart.
What Class C Motorhome Downsize Are You Considering?
For now, gas and diesel prices are holding steady at record-breaking costs per gallon. Despite those costs of RV travel, 42% of American drivers surveyed by AAA say they will not change 2022 summer driving travel plans. Will you? If you plan to downsize to a smaller 2022 Class C motorhome or used model, or not, we want to know about it in the comments below.