From the writers at The Prince George Citizen.
Perhaps I shouldn’t tell you the story about the time we almost burned down a campsite.
OK, it went like this:
My wife and I and the kids drove out to a park for a picnic – never mind where, we want to be able to go back. It was a crisp fall day and we had the place to ourselves, and we had loaded up on hotdogs, chips, wine, doughnuts, the whole diabetic banquet.
My sons tried to start a fire in the firepit. They were little boys and had not yet mastered the art of kindling construction, and they piled twigs and newspaper into a jumbled heap and fanned it frantically, as if they were trying to stay airborne. It died.
My wife said to me, would you please just start the fire? So I stacked the kindling one atop the other Jenga-like, so that the sticks formed a cage, and then I placed the newspaper in the centre of them, and then I lit the newspaper and the kindling caught fire. I stood back and enjoyed that atavistic moment all men feel, the one that takes us back to the Pleistocene cave where Neanderthal Dad first discovered fire and, shortly thereafter, barbecue.
Anyway, that’s when one of my kids took a stick of lit kindling and dropped it on the carpet of dry pine needles and it caught fire and then a low-hanging branch of a pine tree caught fire.
To read the full story by The Prince George Citizen, click here.