From the bloggers at Rolling in a RV.
The museum is housed in the old Carson City Mint which was built in 1863 to mint gold and silver coins from the metals that were mined in and around Virginia City.
From 1895 to 1933 it served as an assay office. In 1941 the city bought it and opened the museum. An addition was added in 1959.
To read the full story by Rolling in a RV, click here.