From the bloggers at Rolling in a RV.
The Grant-Kohrs Ranch has been preserved as an example of a frontier cattle operation. Johnny Grant, who started the ranch, built up his herd by trading with Oregon Trail emigrants – one healthy cow or horse for two worn out ones.
He built a spacious house in 1862 which became even larger after the new owner Conrad Kohrs, who bought the property in 1866, added a wing in the rear. From the 1880s to the 1950s 15 buildings were constructed on the ranch. At it’s peak the Kohr ranch had 50,000 head of cattle, grazing on 10 million acres of open range land.
The park has a tiny visitor center plus exhibits in many of the ranch buildings. Sign up at the visitor center to take a guided tour of the house which has the Kohr’s original furnishings from the 1800s. The rest of the ranch is self guided. No fees are charged to enter the park or tour the house.
To read the full story by Rolling in a RV, click here.